As my friend rightly put it , this is a New Era of Indian cricket. After all , not only did we did beat Pakistan at home after more than twenty years but also did it in style : beating one of the strongest Pak teams ever boasting such living legends of the game as Yasir Hamid , Salman Butt , Mohammed Sami , Sohail Tanveer and Yasir Arafat.
I think the other difference is that in the past one could predict Indian defeats with perfect certainity. One can't anymore. Take the first Oz test at Melbourne.
These were my predictions at the end of Day One :
- India crashing to a first innings score of 250
- Australia piling on 450 by lunch in their second innings
- Australia wrapping up the match by morning of Day Five.
And these were the actual outcomes :
- India crashed to a first innings score of 196
- Australia made only around 250 odd by lunch in their second innings
- Australia wrapped up the match on Day Four
I got it so completely wrong.
Didn't have to eat humble pie for breakfast though. Thankfully , there were steaming idlis and appams from the Mallu joint downstairs to go with the post-match ceremony.
Happy New Era....er , i mean Year. Have a great 2008 !